Wednesday, July 20, 2011

aaah, summer

All of my senses get a workout in the summer.  Every morning, I wake with glee ready to see the what new flower is in my garden from the 100s of seeds I planted in the spring.  Finally I am reaping the visual rewards of all the weeding and watering.  Daily, I walk out barefoot on the soft, cool green grass to peek at my gardens.  For a while, it was just lush green, but now at least one new flower opens every day.  The colors of nature are so vivid, and the butterfly visitors make it feel so ethereal.  Yesterday, I harvested my Chamomile flowers to make tea.  They smell so enchanting, and the tea will taste so good come fall.  
Another thing about summer that I love is hanging clothes on the line to dry.  Who knew it could be so fun.  First of all, it makes me feel like a vintage housewife.  I smell the lavender fabric softner on every towel or garment as I hang it (Mrs. Meyer's Clean Day Lavender has edged out my old favorite Downy Lavender Vanilla).  The sound of birds singing, bees buzzing, and the distant lawnmower float in and out of my ears as I hang.  All the senses are so delighted in summer, I am so sad to see it come to an end.

No comments:

Post a Comment