Friday, March 31, 2017

A Fairy Tale for Modern Times and Moms Who Think They Have To Be Perfect



   Who hasn't wanted to be the perfect mom, wife, and woman?  This girl has, but is she? She wanted to keep a clean house and a happy family. She couldn't afford to stay home, so she had to work.  It made her sad.  She left her kids with people who didn't love them, but she was helping feed them.  It was such a weird predicament.  She was so jealous of moms who could stay home, but maybe they were jealous of her and her ability to escape. She doubted it.  She hated commuting and working for a grouchy man and the time away from that which she cared for most.  Then a miracle occurred.  She got a job working as a school librarian 8-2:30 every day.  At this point, her babies were in Kindergarten and 2nd grade, so they all walked to school together.  For three years, her life was bliss on a tiny budget.  She had time when she got home to exercise, pick up the house and start dinner before walking to pick up her kids.  She read, cooked adventurously, blogged, and mommied like nobody's business.  Then she moved and got another low paying, yet 40 hour a week job.  This is what her cupboards look like now.  And her kitchen table looks like all of ours in a busy time...
 I've got some good spices, but they are a mess...
 This is where I keep my tupperware.  Looking good...




All moms have a table like this at some point


   She's still happy, but this working 40 hour weeks is for the birds in her opinion. Her kids are still happy, and they have a great relationship, but she doesn't make bread or bake anymore.  She doesn't blog anymore.  She doesn't paint her nails anymore. She comes home, cooks a fun dinner(something she loves to do)and she crashes.  No more blogging, no more reading, no more keeping up the house.  She works on my college classes, maybe watches a show with the family.  


  The crazy thing is, even though I complain, I'm still so lucky.  Sometimes on the walk home from work my senses appreciate my freedom....appreciate the beauty around me.  
My walk home the other day, realizing all the snow had melted...

I think of people who just want clean water, who just want someone to notice them, who just want a friend.  How can I complain when I have all these things.  Perspective might be one of the best things humans can use.  Just writing this opened up my eyes to all I have to be thankful for. And I have started baking again... pistachio muffins to come...

No comments:

Post a Comment